Progress Report –Third Quarter 2020
How great was third quarter 2020? So I spent third quarter 2020 mostly working. The pandemic continued, as did the American conversation about race. Which is not a bad thing.
Third Quarter 2020 Posted Works
First of all, I worked on a number of new short stories. A lot of these had been drafted on paper and so I spent some time fixing and polishing them.
Then on Wattpad I posted on the WattNaNo profile and nowhere else.
Also, I have written over two and a half million words (fan fiction and wholly original fiction combined). So right now my stats on Wattpad for wholly original works are as follows:
- Dinosaurs – 29+ reads, 9+ comments
- How to NaNoWriMo – 18,579+ reads, 231+ comments
- My Favorite Things (like kibble) – 972 reads, 133 comments
- Revved Up – 59,292+ reads, 530+ comments
- Side By Side – 9+ reads, 0+ comments
- Social Media Guide for Wattpad – 13, 479+ reads, 590+ comments
- The Canadian Caper – 473 reads, 37 comments
- The Dish – 250 reads, 24 comments
- There is a Road – 188 reads, 28 comments
- WattNaNo’s Top Picks 2018 – 1,814+ reads, 45+ comments
- WattNaNo’s Top Picks 2019 – 1,124+ reads, 7+ comments
- What Now? – 1,949+ reads, 48+ comments
More Published Works
Also, I am amassing quite the collection of published works!
Untrustworthy, which is my first published novel. So yay!
Almost Shipwrecked, a story in the January 2019 edition of Empyreome.
Canaries, a short story in the March 29, 2019, edition of Theme of Absence.
Complications, a story in the Queer Sci Fi Discovery anthology. So this is an anthology where the proceeds went to supporting the QSF website.
Cynthia and Wilder Bloom, stories in the Longest Night Watch II anthology.
Killing Us Softly, so this is a short story published in Corner Bar Magazine.
Props, a story in the Longest Night Watch I anthology. So this is an anthology where the proceeds go to Alzheimer’s research.
Surprises, a story in Book One of the 42 and Beyond Anthology set.
The Boy in the Band, a story in the Pride Park anthology. So this is an anthology where the proceeds go to the Trevor Project.
The Last Patient, a story in the Stardust, Always anthology. This was an anthology where the proceeds go to cancer research.
The Resurrection of Ditte, a story in the Unrealpolitik anthology.
This is My Child, a short story published in the April 8, 2019 edition of Asymmetry Fiction.
Three Minutes Back in Time, a short story published in Mythic Magazine.
Darkness into Light, so this is a short story to be published in Corner Bar Magazine.
So my current WIPs are as follows:
The Obolonk Murders Trilogy – so this one is all about a tripartite society. But who’s killing the aliens?
The Enigman Cave – can we find life on another planet and not screw it up? You know, like we do everything else?
The Real Hub of the Universe Trilogy – so the aliens who live among us in the 1870s and 1880s are at war. But why is that?
Mettle – so it’s all about how society goes to hell in a hand basket when the metals of the periodic table start to disappear. But then what?
Time Addicts – No One is Safe – so this one is all about what happens in the future when time travel becomes possible via narcotic.
So currently, my intention, for this year’s NaNoWriMo, is that I am writing the second novel in the Time Addicts/Obolonks universe. But I need to iron out the plot! So a lot of this year will be spent on that. This one will be called Time Addicts – Nothing is Permanent.
Third Quarter 2020 Queries and Submissions
So here’s how that’s been going during third quarter 2020.
As of third quarter 2020, the following are still in the running for publishing:
|Defenestration Magazine||Soul Rentals ‘R’ Us|
|Journey Into…||None of This is Real|
|Short Story.me||Who Do We Blame for This?|
|The New Southern Fugitives||The Guitarist|
|The School Magazine||A Kitten|
|Utopia Science Fiction||The Student|
|Whiskey Island Magazine||I Used to Be Happy|
All Other Statuses
So be sure to see the Stats section for some details on any query statuses for third quarter 2020 which were not in progress.
So in 2018, my querying stats were:
- 68 submissions of 19 stories
- Acceptances: 4, 5.88%
- In Progress-Under Consideration: 3, 4.41% (so these don’t seem to have panned out)
- In Progress: 10, 14.71%
- Rejected-Personal: 14, 20.59%
- Rejected-Form: 24, 35.29%
- Ghosted: 13 (so these were submissions where I never found out what happened), 19.12%
So in 2019 my querying stats were:
- 23 submissions of 11 stories (so 6 submissions carry over from 2018)
- Acceptances: 4, 17.39%
- In Progress-Under Consideration: 0, 0%
- In Progress: 11 (so this includes 2 holdovers from 2018), 47.83%
- Rejected-Personal: 4, 17.39%
- Rejected-Form: 3, 13.04%
- Ghosted: 1 (so these are submissions where I never found out what happened), 4.35%
So in 2020 my querying stats so far are:
- 27 submissions of 12 stories (so 9 submissions carry over from 2019)
- Acceptances: 2, 7.40%
- In Progress-Under Consideration: 0, 0%
- In Progress: 11, 40.74%
- Rejected-Personal: 8, 29.63%
- Rejected-Form: 2, 7.40%
- Ghosted: 4 (so these are submissions where I never found out what happened), 14.81%
It can be pretty discouraging and hard to go on when nothing new comes up which is positive. It was a huge lift when Killing Us Softly got an acceptance!
Third Quarter 2020 Productivity Killers
So it’s work, what else? I am working on a ton of things and since that is also writing, it can sometimes burn me out. So there is a lot going on, and I am busy as all get out. Because you just know that third quarter 2020 will not be the end of that!Do you like this page? Tweet it! Click To Tweet