Progress Report – Third Quarter 2022
How was third quarter 2022 for writing? So I spent third quarter 2022 mainly editing. This is a necessary part of writing! I also did some planning for NaNoWriMo. So there was that…
Third Quarter 2022 Posted Works
First of all, I worked on a number of new short stories. A lot of these had been drafted on paper and so I spent some time fixing and polishing them.
Then on Wattpad I posted on the WattNaNo profile and the Star Trek Fans profile, and nowhere else.
Also, I have written over 3.3 million words (fan fiction and wholly original fiction combined). So right now my stats on Wattpad for wholly original works are as follows:
- Dinosaurs – 40 reads, 9 comments
- How to NaNoWriMo – 25,401 reads, 340 comments
- My Favorite Things (like kibble) – 983 reads, 133 comments
- Revved Up – 59,423 reads, 531 comments
- Side By Side – 17 reads, 2 comments
- Social Media Guide for Wattpad – 15,632 reads, 592 comments
- The Canadian Caper – 506 reads, 37 comments
- The Dish – 250 reads, 24 comments
- There is a Road – 189 reads, 28 comments
- WattNaNo’s Top Picks 2018 – 1,955 reads, 45 comments
- WattNaNo’s Top Picks 2019 – 1,824 reads, 10 comments
- What Now? – 2,700 reads, 104 comments
More Published Works
Also, I am amassing quite the collection of published works!
Untrustworthy, which is my first published novel. So yay!
A True Believer in Skepticism, published in Mythic Magazine.
Almost Shipwrecked, a story in the January 2019 edition of Empyreome.
Canaries, a short story in the March 29, 2019, edition of Theme of Absence.
Complications, a story in the Queer Sci Fi Discovery anthology. So this is an anthology where the proceeds went to supporting the QSF website.
Cynthia and Wilder Bloom, stories in the Longest Night Watch II anthology.
Props, a story in the Longest Night Watch I anthology. So this is an anthology where the proceeds go to Alzheimer’s research.
Surprises, a story in Book One of the 42 and Beyond Anthology set.
The Boy in the Band, a story in the Pride Park anthology. So this is an anthology where the proceeds go to the Trevor Project.
The Interview, the featured story in the December 14, 2018 edition of Theme of Absence. So they even interviewed me!
The Last Patient, a story in the Stardust, Always anthology. This was an anthology where the proceeds go to cancer research.
The Resurrection of Ditte, a story in the Unrealpolitik anthology.
This is My Child, a short story published in the April 8, 2019 edition of Asymmetry Fiction.
Three Minutes Back in Time, a short story published in Mythic Magazine.
Killing Us Softly, a short story published in Corner Bar Magazine.
Darkness into Light, a short story published in Corner Bar Magazine.
So my current WIPs are as follows:
The Obolonk Murders Trilogy – so this one is all about a tripartite society. But who’s killing the aliens?
The Enigman Cave – can we find life on another planet and not screw it up? You know, like we do everything else?
The Real Hub of the Universe Trilogy – so the aliens who live among us in the 1870s and 1880s are at war. But why is that?
Mettle – so it’s all about how society goes to hell in a hand basket when the metals of the periodic table start to disappear. But then what?
Time Addicts – No One is Safe – so this one is all about what happens in the future when time travel becomes possible via narcotic.
Time Addicts – Nothing is Permanent – this is the second in this trilogy. What happens when time is tampered with and manipulated in all sorts of ways? It’s the ultimate in gaslighting, for one thing.
Time Addicts – Everything is Up For Grabs – coming in November 2021!
So currently, my intention, for next year’s NaNoWriMo, is to write the third trilogy in the Time Addicts/Obolonks universe. But I need to iron out the plot! So a lot of this year has been spent on that. I have no name for this one yet.
For 2022 NaNoWriMo, I have decided to create a prequel for each of the 5 main universes: Real Hub of the Universe, Obolonks, Time Addicts (while the Obolonks and Time Addicts are in the same universe, I just plain want to write two separate prequels!), Untrustworthy, The Enigman Cave, and Mettle.
So, I anticipate a lot of fun and perhaps a little confusion. But it’s all good!
Third Quarter 2022 Queries and Submissions
So here’s how that’s been going during third quarter 2022.
Coming right out of the blue, Mythic Magazine wants to do a second Best of Mythic and chose A True Believer in Skepticism!!! Yay!!!!
As of third quarter 2022, the following are (allegedly) still in the running for publishing:
|A Thousand One Stories||Soul Rentals ‘R’ Us|
|Gemini Magazine||I Used to Be Happy|
|Sonder Review||Who Do We Blame for This?|
All Other Statuses
So be sure to see the Stats section for some details on any query statuses for third quarter 2022 which were not in progress.
So in 2018, my querying stats were:
- 68 submissions of 19 stories
- Acceptances: 4, 5.88%
- In Progress-Under Consideration: 3, 4.41% (so these don’t seem to have panned out)
- In Progress: 10, 14.71%
- Rejected-Personal: 14, 20.59%
- Rejected-Form: 24, 35.29%
- Ghosted: 13 (so these were submissions where I never found out what happened), 19.12%
So in 2019 my querying stats were:
- 23 submissions of 11 stories (so 6 submissions carry over from 2018)
- Acceptances: 4, 17.39%
- In Progress: 11 (so this includes 2 holdovers from 2018), 47.83%
- Rejected-Personal: 4, 17.39%
- Rejected-Form: 3, 13.04%
- Ghosted: 1 (so these are submissions where I never found out what happened), 4.35%
So in 2020 my querying stats were:
- 37 submissions of 12 stories (so 9 submissions carried over from 2019)
- Acceptances: 3, 8.11%
- In Progress: 7, 18.92%
- Rejected-Personal: 12, 32.43%
- Rejected-Form: 4, 10.81%
- Ghosted: 11 (so these are submissions where I never found out what happened), 29.73%
So in 2021 my querying stats were:
- 5+ submissions of 5+ stories (so 5 submissions carried over from 2020)
- Acceptances: 0, 0%
- Ghosted: 5 (so these are submissions where I never found out what happened), 100%
So in 2022 my querying stats are:
- 6+ submissions of 65+ stories (so 5 submissions carry over from 2020 and 2021), plus 1 reprint!
- Acceptances: 14.29%
- Rejected-Form: 1, 14.29%
- Ghosted: 5 (so these are submissions where I never found out what happened), 71.42%
It can be pretty discouraging and hard to go on when nothing new comes up which is positive.
Third Quarter 2022 Productivity Killers
So it’s work, what else? It’s always going to be work, and third quarter 2022 will not be the end of that!How's my writing going? #amediting Click To Tweet