Progress Report – Fourth Quarter 2022
How was fourth quarter 2022 for writing? It was a continuation of third quarter 2022, more or less.
So I spent fourth quarter 2022 preparing for and writing for NaNo, and then I was going to be editing The Real Hope of the Universe , but that has had to wait for next quarter. So there was that…
Fourth Quarter 2022 Posted Works
First of all, I worked on NaNoWriMo. Either I was preparing for it, or I was writing it. NaNo this year consisted of two prequel works. One was for the Real Hub universe (that one got very long) and the other was for the Obolonk universe, more specifically as a Time Addicts prequel. These are called The East Side of the Universe and The Dust Between Our Stars, respectively.
Then on Wattpad I posted on the WattNaNo profile and nowhere else. Also, I gave up running the Star Trek profile. I just plain do not have the time any more.
Also, I have written over 3.4 million words (fan fiction and wholly original fiction combined). Another 120,000 in original words, and I will have finally surpassed fan fiction. Yeah, I really did write that much fan fic! The below is but the tip of that particular iceberg. So right now my stats on Wattpad for wholly original works are as follows:
- Dinosaurs – 40 reads, 9 comments
- How to NaNoWriMo – 25,946 reads, 340 comments
- My Favorite Things (like kibble) – 983 reads, 133 comments
- Revved Up – 59,435 reads, 531 comments
- Side By Side – 17 reads, 2 comments
- Social Media Guide for Wattpad – 15,812 reads, 592 comments
- The Canadian Caper – 506 reads, 37 comments
- The Dish – 250 reads, 24 comments
- There is a Road – 189 reads, 28 comments
- WattNaNo’s Top Picks 2018 – 1,967 reads, 45 comments
- WattNaNo’s Top Picks 2019 – 1,845 reads, 10 comments
- What Now? – 2,764 reads, 104 comments
More Published Works
Also, I am amassing quite the collection of published works!
Untrustworthy, which is my first published novel. So yay!
A True Believer in Skepticism, published in Mythic Magazine.
Almost Shipwrecked, a story in the January 2019 edition of Empyreome.
Canaries, a short story in the March 29, 2019, edition of Theme of Absence.
Complications, a story in the Queer Sci Fi Discovery anthology. So this is an anthology where the proceeds went to supporting the QSF website.
Cynthia and Wilder Bloom, stories in the Longest Night Watch II anthology.
Props, a story in the Longest Night Watch I anthology. So this is an anthology where the proceeds go to Alzheimer’s research.
Surprises, a story in Book One of the 42 and Beyond Anthology set.
The Boy in the Band, a story in the Pride Park anthology. So this is an anthology where the proceeds go to the Trevor Project.
The Last Patient, a story in the Stardust, Always anthology. This was an anthology where the proceeds go to cancer research.
The Resurrection of Ditte, a story in the Unrealpolitik anthology.
This is My Child, a short story published in the April 8, 2019 edition of Asymmetry Fiction.
Three Minutes Back in Time, a short story published in Mythic Magazine.
Killing Us Softly, a short story published in Corner Bar Magazine.
Darkness into Light, a short story published in Corner Bar Magazine.
So my current WIPs are as follows:
The Obolonk Murders Trilogy – so this one is all about a tripartite society. But who’s killing the aliens?
The Enigman Cave – can we find life on another planet and not screw it up? You know, like we do everything else?
The Real Hub of the Universe Trilogy – so the aliens who live among us in the 1870s and 1880s are at war. But why is that?
Mettle – so it’s all about how society goes to hell in a hand basket when the metals of the periodic table start to disappear. But then what?
Time Addicts – No One is Safe – so this one is all about what happens in the future when time travel becomes possible via narcotic.
Time Addicts – Nothing is Permanent – this is the second in this trilogy. What happens when time is tampered with and manipulated in all sorts of ways? It’s the ultimate in gaslighting, for one thing.
Time Addicts – Everything is Up For Grabs – as the timelines smack together and continue to diverge, it gets harder to tell the “real” timeline from all the newer fake ones. And what if some of the changes are for the better?
Fourth Quarter 2022 Prep Work
So currently, my intention, for 2024’s NaNoWriMo, is to write the third trilogy in the Time Addicts/Obolonks universe. But I need to iron out the plot! So a lot of this year has been spent on that. I have no name for this one yet.
For 2023 NaNoWriMo, I have decided to create a prequel for two or three more of the five main universes: Obolonks (while the Obolonks and Time Addicts are in the same universe, I just plain want to write two separate prequels!), Untrustworthy, The Enigman Cave, and Mettle.
If 2023 NaNo goes like 2022 NaNo did, then whichever one I do first will end up sticking to the script and complete relatively early, and then the second one will … meander.
If I had to choose two which would fill the bill in that fashion, it would either be Untrustworthy + Obolonks or Mettle + Enigman Cave. This is mainly because the first in each pairing are relatively well-defined, whereas the second of the pairings? Eh, not so much.
So, I anticipate a lot of fun and perhaps a little confusion. But it’s all good! And if I play my cards right, I can do the final pairing in 2024 and
put off prepare the third trilogy till 2025.
Fourth Quarter 2022 Queries and Submissions
So here’s how that’s been going during fourth quarter 2022.
Coming right out of the blue, Mythic Magazine wants to do a second Best of Mythic and chose A True Believer in Skepticism!!! Yay!!!!
As of fourth quarter 2022, the following are still in the running for publishing:
|A Thousand One Stories||Soul Rentals ‘R’ Us|
|Gemini Magazine||I Used to Be Happy|
|Sonder Review||Who Do We Blame for This?|
But the truth is, I suspect all of those are ghostings at this point. I don’t honestly have the energy to submit right now.
All Other Statuses
So be sure to see the Stats section for some details on any query statuses for fourth quarter 2022 which were not in progress.
So in 2018, my querying stats were:
- 68 submissions of 19 stories
- Acceptances: 4, 5.88%
- In Progress-Under Consideration: 3, 4.41% (so these don’t seem to have panned out)
- In Progress: 10, 14.71%
- Rejected-Personal: 14, 20.59%
- Rejected-Form: 24, 35.29%
- Ghosted: 13 (so these were submissions where I never found out what happened), 19.12%
So in 2019 my querying stats were:
- 23 submissions of 11 stories (so 6 submissions carry over from 2018)
- Acceptances: 4, 17.39%
- In Progress: 11 (so this includes 2 holdovers from 2018), 47.83%
- Rejected-Personal: 4, 17.39%
- Rejected-Form: 3, 13.04%
- Ghosted: 1 (so these are submissions where I never found out what happened), 4.35%
So in 2020 my querying stats were:
- 37 submissions of 12 stories (so 9 submissions carried over from 2019)
- Acceptances: 3, 8.11%
- In Progress: 7, 18.92%
- Rejected-Personal: 12, 32.43%
- Rejected-Form: 4, 10.81%
- Ghosted: 11 (so these are submissions where I never found out what happened), 29.73%
So in 2021 my querying stats were:
- 5 submissions of 5 stories (so 5 submissions carried over from 2020)
- Ghosted: 5 (so these are submissions where I never found out what happened), 100%
So in 2022 my querying stats were:
- 6 submissions of 6 stories (so 5 submissions carry over from 2020 and 2021), plus 1 reprint!
- Acceptances (reprint; still waiting on it): 1,14.29%
- In Progress-Under Consideration: 0, 0%
- Rejected-Form: 1, 14.29%
- Ghosted: 5 (so these are submissions where I never found out what happened), 71.42%
It can be pretty discouraging and hard to go on when virtually nothing new comes up which is positive.
Fourth Quarter 2022—Productivity Killers
So it’s work, what else? I am working on a ton of things and then have to switch to fiction writing. And that isn’t always easy, and there’s no end in sight.
My focus right now, also, is to continue to redesign and overhaul this blog and website. So, that’s the priority, and creation will wait for it, and editing.How's my writing going? #amediting Click To Tweet