Progress Report – Fourth Quarter 2018
How superb was the fourth quarter 2018? Totally! It was another productive three-month period.
First of all, I posted some new short stories which had not yet made it to the group.
So here’s what I created and improved.
By design, I did no writing. Instead, this was a month to catch up on posting some older stuff. Plus, I got together the last of the outline for The Real Hope of the Universe. October was truly vital for getting my act in gear for NaNoWriMo.
I wrote well and regularly this month. It was great progress and I wrote a total of 64,335 words during the calendar month. And I ‘won’ NaNoWriMo on the twenty-second of the month.
By design, I continued to work on The Real Hope of the Universe. By the time the month was halfway over, I had written a total of over 91,000 words for Real Hope… So, that was just about 26,500 new words in December. This also means the book is longer than The Real Heart of the Universe, the middle book.
And the truth is, that seems to be a regular pattern for me. The first book is long. Then the middle one is quicker. And finally the last of the three is long again. But that is also because I hate saying goodbye to characters!
Also, I have written over two and three-quarter million words (fan fiction and wholly original fiction combined). That is over one million wholly original words and over 1.8 million for fan fiction.
So right now my stats on Wattpad for wholly original works are as follows:
- How to NaNoWriMo – 12,183 reads, 137 comments
- My Favorite Things (like kibble) – 969 reads, 133 comments
- Revved Up – 58,729** reads, 526+ comments
- Social Media Guide for Wattpad – 12,309+ reads, 587+ comments
- The Canadian Caper – 453 reads, 37 comments
- The Dish – 249 reads, 24 comments
- There is a Road – 188 reads, 28 comments
- WattNaNo’s Top Picks 2018 – 1233** reads, 43+ comments
A lot of the surging in stats on WattPad has been due to the upswing in popularity for the WattNaNo profile.
The current WIPs are as follows.
The Obolonk Murders Trilogy is a futuristic crime story where our society is divided into three parts – humans, semi-sentient and sentient robots, and aliens. I may end up writing a sequel trilogy. I’m not sure, so stay tuned.
The Enigman Cave takes place about a half a millennium from now. And it imagines a first contact where the aliens are at the level of Australopithecus.
The Real Hub of the Universe Trilogy takes place about 140 years ago and covers an Earth overrun by warring alien factions during the Victorian Era.
Mettle takes place only a few years from now and is the story of how society crumbles when metals begin to disappear.
So currently, for this year’s NaNoWriMo, I will write the third novel in the Real Hub trilogy. But I need to get the outline in order!
Queries and Submissions
So here’s how that’s been going during fourth quarter 2018. The third quarter was full of disappointments. Except for the 42 and Beyond anthology, I got no bites.
But then the fourth quarter picked up! Hence the following happened:
- Almost Shipwrecked – accepted for publication at Empyreome.
- Killing Us Softly – currently under consideration at Jay Henge Publishing (Pioneers & Pathfinders).
- Surprises – accepted for publication via Hydra Productions’ 42 and Beyond, Book 1.
- The Interview – accepted for publication at Theme of Absence. Published on December 14, 2018.
- The Resurrection of Ditte – accepted for publication at Jay Henge Publishing (Unrealpolitik on Amazon).
- Three Minutes Back in Time – currently under consideration at Alternate Peace.
According to The Submission Grinder, here are my lifetime stats:
- Pieces: 17
- Submissions: 65
- Rejections: 35 (53.85%)
- Acceptances: 3 (4.62%)
- Pending Submissions: 13 (20.00%)
- Lifetime Earnings: $26.25
Note: this doesn’t include anything not submitted via the Grinder, such as Untrustworthy and Surprises. And of course the remaining percentage of the total is everything where I’m still waiting to hear. By my count, I’ve submitted to 58 different publishers (at least two aren’t included in the Grinder’s overall count).
And by the way, I consider an acceptance rate of over four and a half percent to be outstanding!
Right now, The Real Hope of the Universe is a WIP.
All Other Statuses
I continue to wait on the potential for a number of submissions to finally go through and gain acceptance.
Fourth Quarter 2018 Productivity Killers
So it was work, what else? I am working on a ton of things and since that is also writing, it can sometimes burn me out. Furthermore, as a manager, I have obligations that go far beyond my own job. The holidays got nuts, and my house is in renovation hell. So, what else is new?Writing Progress Report – Fourth Quarter 2018 #amwriting Click To Tweet