Do You Know How Social Media Can Ruin Your Life?
Woo doggy, social media can really do it to you.
Oh. My. God.
You did WHAT???!?!?!?
Quick, lemme tweet it!
No, I’ll take a picture and upload it to Instagram.
And I can’t forget to blog it!
This kind of gaffe deserves a Facebook post, too!
So you know what’s it like. You post a selfie taken at the ballgame. Except you told your boss that you were home sick, with the flu. You were supposed to be with your significant other. But, oops, you checked into Foursquare. With your friend. You know, the one with benefits. Or maybe you rant against your kid’s soccer coach on Twitter. And he calls you out on it. Hence in May of 2014, The Boston Globe presented a half a dozen ways that social media can ruin your life.
And the article presents some boneheaded moves, including a poor choice of a Halloween costume (because evidently the victims of the Boston Marathon bombing are a laugh riot to someone out there), a Candy Crush addiction, and some poorly thought out tweets.
You Did What?
I’m sure that the following will, eventually, be the kinds of behaviors that could be added to a successor article (Note: some of these are real, some are speculative. I won’t name names. So you decide whether any of these have really happened, or are still in the ‘maybe’ column):
- How about claiming a permanent injury for your lawsuit and then checking in from a dance contest
- What about a court-ordered Gamblers’ Anonymous meeting blown off for a trip to the track – and a selfie with the dogs or horses running their hearts out in the background.
- Or dissing your ex, big time, on Facebook or Twitter, and your child growing up to read your sunshiny status updates.
- And then maybe a job interview, as you tout your fine record of academic achievement, with old Instagram photos of you showing off your barely passing C-average transcript.
- Finally, politicians caught with underage drinking photos, sexting, pictures of their junk, and a panoply of other nuggets of oversharing.
I love social media but man oh man, people! Have a little self-control and some common sense.