A Look at Social Media Marketing by Liana Evans
Social Media Marketing by Liana Evans was a book that I might have read a little too late in the semester. In all fairness, I read this book toward the end of my first social media class at Quinnipiac (ICM 522).
Hence it felt like I already knew a lot of what she had written, but that was likely more a function of timing than anything else.
Been There, Done That
So the book is interesting. However, I had just read a ton of other works about very similar work, strategies, and ideas. Therefore, it ended up being maybe one book too many. Plus it ended up an optional read, anyway.
Furthermore, other works seemed to have said it better. So these days, books just do not get published fast enough to take proper advantage of trends and new insights. Hence blogs, in general (although not always!) end up more current and relevant.
What Was the Best Thing I Learned from Liana Evans and Her Book?
Possibly the best takeaway I got from the book was when Evans talked about online communities, particularly in Chapter 33 – You Get What You Give. So on page 255, she writes –
- You need to invest your resources, such as …
- Time to research where the conversation is
- Time and resources to develop a strategy
- and Time and staff resources to engage community members
- Time to listen to what they are saying, in the communities
- Time and resources to measure successes and failures
- Giving valuable content
- It is similar to a bank account
- Don’t bribe the community
- Rewards come in all fashions
- Research who your audience is
- Give your audience something valuable and/or exclusive
- Don’t expect you’ll know everything
- Listen to what your audience says
- Admit when you are wrong
- Thank your community
Finally, much like we’ve been telling people for years on Able2know – listen before you speak!
Review: 4/5 stars.